My Girl

I must have seen this movie at least 4 times by now, in pieces. Every time I watch it, it takes me on a nostalgic trip back to the 80s. I suppose being a kid was a lot more simpler and loads of fun.

The movie is called Fan Chan (Thai) & My Girl (Eng). It was released in the year 2003 and was a major box office hit.

Jeab, a young man working in Bangkok, receives word that his best friend from childhood, Noi-Nah is to be married. While driving back to his hometown, the memories of his friendship with her come flooding back, and their story is told in a flashback.

They are best friends, even though their fathers are rival barbers with shops on each side of a mini-mart in the small town of Petchaburi.

Every morning, Jeap wakes up too late to catch the school bus. His father must then give him a ride on his motorcycle to catch up with the bus.

On the bus, we are introduced to Jeab, Noi Nah and all the boys, who are led by a big bully named Jack. They all talk about what they are going to do after school. The boys plan to play Chinese fantasy. The girls will play house.

Jeab longs to play with the boys, but they play in a park across a busy street, which he can't ride his bike across. So he's limited to playing with the girls.

There's a lot of humor in the film and all the children have given a good performance. A nice, touching story which makes it a good afternoon watch.

You should be able to view it on UTV - World Movies one of these days. I tried looking for the DVD at the some of the stores in Mumbai, no luck.

3 comments

  1. Kevin  

    December 17, 2009 at 2:00 AM

    Words cannot express how jealous I am that a television station in India would air "Fan Chan". No such thing here in America, which is a pity because "Fan Chan", and subsequent movies by one of the directors, became overnight favorites of mine.

    Obviously, I wouldn't know where I can recommend it in Mumbai, but here is a site that I ordered my DVD from. It's the Taiwanese release.

    http://www.yesasia.com/us/my-girl-dvd-english-subtitled-taiwan-version/1020326366-0-0-0-en/info.html

    The director whose work I really like is Songyos Sugmakanan, one of six (six directors for one movie!) of "Fan Chan". Try to look for movies called "Dek Hor/Dorm" and "Pid Term Yai Hua Jai Wah Woon/Hormones" too. Bonus, Sugmakanan also collaborated with Charlie Trairat (the no-longer-young boy who played Jeab in "Fan Chan")

  2. * internetstatic *  

    January 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM

    Thanks Kevin. I will order the movie from the website right away!

    I am in the UK now and I can understand your pain. Thanks to the BBC, we still get to view some gems from around the world.

    A big Thank you for all the recommends. I will try and view them over the next few weeks. :D

    Happy new Year!

  3. Kevin  

    January 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM

    You're welcome. Actually, I just watched it again last night for the first time in about a month and a half. It really is a rejuvenating movie to watch.

    I noticed your reply was on January 4th. Have you received your DVD of the movie yet?

    Director Songyos Sugmakanan and actor Charlie Trairat also collaborated on a horror short in the movie "Phobia 2" which recently got a few English subtitled releases. It's a half hour zombie thriller. It was ok, but zombie thrillers aren't my thing.

Post a Comment



Recent Entries

Recent Comments