What does your name mean ?!!?

I have been asked that question almost every time I’ve introduced myself.

I suppose it is an excellent way to initiate a conversation in the Indian subcontinent. Have your ever heard a name without any “meaning”?
Well… definitely not where I live.

I’ve been offered a grand total of 3 meanings for my name, which I could use. One by my parents, one by an old lady by the badminton court and the last one by my wife.

So what does “Sitanshu” really mean?

Cold Teardrop: I was as confused as you are right now. I’ve spent a decent amount of childhood trying to figure out why my parents would name me after a teardrop!

Rama (from the Ramayana): An elderly lady told me the origins of my name lie in the fusion of two Sanskrit words. Broken down, “Sitanshu” literally means “A part of Sita” (Rama’s wife).

The Moon: My wife Googled this one and I totally don’t agree with it.

There have been many occasions when people have asked me if I was Chinese, but then that’s another story.

If there are any other meanings to my name, I would love to know.

0 comments

Post a Comment



Recent Entries

Recent Comments