The White Balloon – Abbas Kiarostami

Hours before the Iranian New Year, a seven-year-old girl begs her mother for money to buy a goldfish. The mother grudgingly relents, but, on the way to the store, the girl accidentally drops her 500-toman bill into an open sewer grate. In a relentless attempt to retrieve her money in time to purchase the much-coveted goldfish, she enlists the help of her enterprising brother and a varied cross-section of Teheran's marginalized citizens. A quiet, unpretentious gem about the beauty in everyday life.

I remember watching a few Iranian movies a decade ago on Star Movies, part of their children’s week celebration. I forgot the names of the movies and their directors over the years and all I could remember were the characters and the amazing storyline.

The brilliance of The White Balloon is in its simplicity which led it to win the Prix de la Camera d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

I finally managed to catch the movie on UTV World Movies and boy was I excited!

2 comments

  1. Unknown  

    August 17, 2010 at 3:16 AM

    Yes, I watched the movie on UTV World Movies first time. I liked the movie very much. I am looking for original DVD for my collection. Pls let me know similar movies if u know... my email id is dinaysh007@gmail.com. Thnks.

  2. * internetstatic *  

    August 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM

    Thanks Dinesh. Another movie that you might like is 'Children of Heaven'. This is a more recent movie, late 90s I think.

    Doordarshan used to brodcast a lot of international 'art' movies in the past. I don't think they do so anymore.

    Keep visiting, I'll try to blog more often. :D

Post a Comment



Recent Entries

Recent Comments